If you’re considering transporting your vehicle you may be curious about the preparations for both your car and yourself. It’s natural to have inquiries and worries regarding the secure and efficient shipment of your car. Fortunately we’re here to assist you with a checklist, for car shipping that will walk you through each stage of the process. Here are the steps you should take;
Before You Ship Your Car
The first thing you need to do before you ship your car is to find a reliable and reputable car shipping company. You can do this by:
- Doing some online research and reading reviews and testimonials from previous customers.
- Asking for referrals and recommendations from friends, family, or colleagues who have shipped their cars before.
- Getting free quotes from different car shipping companies and comparing their rates and services.
- Checking the credentials and reputation of the car shipping company, such as their license, insurance, accreditation, and ratings.
Once you find a car shipping company that meets your needs and expectations, you need to book your service and confirm the details of your shipment. You need to:
- Make sure to give the car shipping company all the details about your vehicle, including the brand, model, year of manufacture, current condition and any unique features or alterations.
- Please make sure to share the details of your pickup and delivery locations including the addresses, contact numbers and your preferred dates and times with the car shipping company.
- Select the carrier and service that aligns with your budget and personal preferences. You can choose between enclosed trailers, door to door or terminal to terminal delivery, as well as expedited or guaranteed delivery options.
- Review and sign the contract and the bill of lading that outline the terms and conditions of your shipment.
- Pay a deposit or the full amount of your shipment, depending on the car shipping company’s policy.
Before You Hand Over Your Car
The next thing you need to do before you hand over your car to the driver is to prepare your car for shipping. You need to:
- Remove any personal items from your car, such as documents, electronics, valuables, etc. These items are not covered by the car shipping company’s insurance and might cause damage or theft during transit.
- Clean your car inside and out to make it easier to inspect for any existing damages or defects. Take photos or videos of your car from different angles and keep them as proof of its condition before shipping.
- Check your car’s fluid levels and tire pressure and make sure they are within the recommended range. Also check your battery charge and make sure it’s fully charged.
- Disable your car’s alarm system or any other security features that might go off during transport. Also disable any toll tags or parking passes that might incur charges during transit.
- Lock your doors but leave a spare key with the driver in case of an emergency.
When You Hand Over Your Car
The last thing you need to do when you hand over your car to the driver is to inspect your car together and sign the paperwork. You need to:
- Meet the driver at the agreed pickup location and time. Make sure you have all the necessary documents with you, such as your ID, registration, insurance, etc.
- Examine your vehicle alongside the driver. Carefully document any pre-existing damages or flaws, on the bill of lading. Ensure that both parties sign and reach an agreement regarding the car’s condition before proceeding to load it onto the trailer.
- Make sure to provide the driver with a key for your car while keeping one for yourself. Additionally communicate any instructions or requests regarding your vehicle and how it should be handled.
- Get a copy of the bill of lading and the driver’s contact information. Keep them in a safe place until you receive your car.
When You Receive Your Car
The final thing you need to do when you receive your car is to inspect it again and sign the delivery receipt. You need to:
- Meet the driver at the agreed delivery location and time. Make sure you have enough cash or a certified check to pay the remaining balance of your shipment if required.
- Inspect your car with the driver and compare it with the photos or videos you took before shipping. Look for any new damages or defects that might have occurred during transit.
- If everything is in order, sign the delivery receipt and get a copy of it. If there are any issues or disputes, note them down on the delivery receipt and contact the car shipping company immediately.
- Enjoy your car!
Shipping your car is actually quite straightforward and not as complicated as you may imagine. By following this car shipping checklist you can ensure a secure, affordable and hassle free transportation of your vehicle. Begin by finding a trustworthy car shipping company. Once you’ve chosen the right service provider, book your shipping service and confirm all the details regarding your shipment. Next prepare your car for transportation by taking the required precautions. Before handing over your vehicle to the shipping company, perform an inspection to note its condition. After receiving your car at the destination, carry out another inspection to make sure it arrived in shape. Lastly complete any required paperwork by signing off on it. Don’t wait longer – take action now. Get your car shipped without delay!